Why is Canada listed in the top 10 study abroad nations? There are many good countries all around. But why are most people choosing Canada as their destination? Is the country providing any special advantage for the student’s career?
Each year the number of students planning to study abroad is increasing rapidly. The reason behind this is many students feel abroad education from top universities will yield them better opportunities.
Canada is one of the well educated countries in the world. On a global ranking, the country has been ranked on the 4th for its teaching quality and 8th for providing the best career goals.
Also, it is a good platform for a student to work and study simultaneously under an affordable living lifestyle.
In the time period of 2010-2018, the percentage of international students in Canada grew by 154%. Canada has become a home to over half of a million international students.
Below find the graph indicating the international students in Canada from 2010-2018.
If you are a student planning for abroad education and do not have good knowledge on choosing the right one, then consider reading the article, and you will be able to find the right pathway to study in Canada.
1. What are the 5 top reasons attracting an international student for Canada?
Canada has become a popular choice for many international students. And, the five main reasons which are immensely attracting to choose Canada are:
- Standard Education. The quality of the Canadian Education System
- The Canadian Society. The society is widely known for its tolerance and non-discriminatory society.
- The land with protection. Canada is popularly known for being the safest country.
- Affordability. The quality of education can be obtained at affordable tuition rates.
- Permanent Residence. The country offers the best possible ways for a skilled student to apply for Canadian permanent residence.
- Globalized Recognition. Students who have completed their education from Canada can receive the best career opportunities all over the world.
2. What are the requirements to study in Canada?
In order to get admission in the Canadian economy, an international student has to possess a set of requirements, such as:
- You need to be accepted by a DLI or the Designated Learning Institute.
- You should be able to prove that you have adequate funds to support your tuition fees and living expenses.
- Must be able to prove that you have an excellent personal background without any criminal record.
- Need to have good health and, if required, should be able to provide a medical certificate.
- Should be able to convince the immigration officer while attending the interview that you will be returning.
3. How to apply for a Canada Study visa?
The steps which have to be followed for obtaining a Canadian student visa are:
Step 1: Verify the requirements
Understand your requirements and carefully perform an analysis of the study permit application process. The ideal time to start planning for applying Canada’s study permit is at least a year before. You need to be prepared with all requirements, which include language tests, proof of your finances, updated passport.
Step 2: Course and Institution
Designated Learning Institution has the right to admit international students. Hence, choose an institution as per the status. You need to finalize the course before applying for the study visa. Choose a course that is genuinely interested in you.
Step 3: Check your language abilities
Proving the English language proficiency test is very important for an international student to entry into Canada. For English, you choose IELTS or TOEFL examination, whereas, for French, you can select DALF, DELF, or TCF. After choosing the test, you can pay the fee and practice for obtaining a good score.
Step 4: Apply for the University
Get the application forms from your shortlisted list of universities. Applying to two or more universities can help as backups for getting shortlisted. While submitting your application for the universities, be careful that you are providing accurate information.
After submission, you need to wait to obtain the acceptance letter from the university to study in Canada. The acceptance letter is an essential document in the student visa process.
Step 5: Applying for Canada Study Permit
Once you have obtained the acceptance letter, you are required to apply for the Study permit. It can be applied either online or by visiting any local visa application centre. While processing your application, you need to provide your acceptance letter.
If you are planning to apply for an institution from the province of Quebec, then you need to obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec along with the acceptance letter. And, all these two documents have to be applied in your study permit application.
Step 6: Traveling Time
After processing the application, you need to go for an interview, and the immigration officer may decide the time for you to start your travel to Canada. The permit issued to you will represent a start date. So, you need to plan your travel accordingly.
Step 7: Duration of Study
The visa officer will be verifying your permit and the documents submitted by you at the port of entry. These are the final immigration formalities to start your journey in Canada as an international student.
Below find the graph which indicates the top 10 countries for receiving Canadian Study Permits in 2018.
4. Which colleges or universities should you consider?
When you are aiming to study in Canada with a specialized field, then you are required to list the colleges and universities. This will help you in validating which college or university is providing a specialized course.
However, while choosing a college, you are required to follow a set of instructions such as:
- Check the primary language of the school/college/university.
- Make sure of the type of education and bachelor’s degree you are looking for.
- Search for the universities as per your favorable location.
- Check the size of the university so that you choose either a large campus or a small campus.
- Check the reputation of the university. A reputed university can help you in experiencing a good job placement rate.
- Verify whether the university offers any scholarship or not.
- Check if the school provides an opportunity for extracurricular activities.
5. What are the top Canadian universities for international students?
There is no university ranking system for Canada. Many of the rankings are made by many Canadian magazines and newspapers. But, these do not remain as the accurate one as many of the universities do not participate.
A few of the Canadian colleges and universities which are popular to study in Canada are:
- Queen’s University School of English — Kingston, Ontario
- University of Toronto — Toronto, Ontario
- University of British Columbia — Vancouver, British Columbia
- McGill University — Montréal, Québec
- Seneca College — Toronto, Ontario
- University of Alberta — Edmonton, Alberta
- University of Montréal — Montréal, Québec
- Algonquin College — Ottawa, Ontario
- University of Calgary — Calgary, Alberta
- Carleton University — Ottawa, Ontario
- Concordia University — Montréal, Québec
6. What can an international student do after completing studies?
The Canadian government is much favorable in considering international graduates as their new permanent residents. The young talents will have enough skills which are ideal for becoming a Canadian PR.
Therefore, after the completion of graduation, candidates can begin their career in Canada with the Post-Graduation Work Permit. With the recent changes that happened to the Express Entry, it has become more comfortable for the international students to obtain their permanent residence.
Also, the various immigration streams under the Provincial Nominee Program provide good opportunities for international students.
Below find the graph illustrating the number of international students who have transitioned to permanent residency in 2015-2017.
7. Is there any possibility of Canada Study visa rejection?
Every year a good number of students apply for a student visa. And, not every application receives a visa grant to study in Canada. There are a few cases, where the application gets rejected. Below find some of the reasons why the student visa of Canada gets rejected.
Reasons for Canada Student Visa Rejection:
- Your insufficient financial background.
- Inadequate academic performance.
- Failing to provide Letter of acceptance.
- If not having a good score under the Canada IELTS or TOEFL test.
- Failing in convincing the visa officer that you will be on a temporary stay and will be returning back after the visa expiry.
- If you are failing in choosing the right study program, it may result in visa rejection.
- Failing in submitting the required documents to support your visa program.
8. What is the IELTS requirement for Canada Student Visa 2020?
For anyone with an aim to work or migrate or study in Canada, a language test is a necessary one. The test was mainly related to native-English speakers. The IELTS test decides proficiency by considering four parts – reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
The scores are obtained in the form of bands. Each band determines the level of proficiency an individual possesses over the English language. When considering the language requirement for a Canada Student Visa, the band requirements are different as per the course chose.
If you are planning for an undergraduate course, you need to score a minimum of 5.5 in each of the four sections with a band score of 6 for a student visa approval. For post-graduate courses, you need to score a minimum of 6 in all four sections and a minimum level of overall 6.5 bands.
By obtaining the required score, anyone can easily fulfill the Canada Students Visa IELTS band requirement 2020.
9. What is the fee for Canada Study Visa?
In order to make yourself familiar with the Canadian fee requirements, we have mentioned the below table for illustrating the fee requirements of the study permit, work permit, and visitor visa.
|Study Permit (including extensions)
|Work Permit (including extensions)
|Work Permit (maximum fee for groups of performing artists and their staff)
|Visitor visa – single entry or multiple entries (including extensions)
|Visitor visa – maximum fee for family
|Visitor record (including extensions)